Tuesday, February 08, 2005

cny eve

Today is the eve of Chinese New Year, no? Is the Lunar New Year a significant period of the year? Or is it "just another holiday"-break from school/work etc.?

I went to Orchard today to watch a movie with my mat brothers, and have lunch with them and Fahyik. What was amazing to me is that there are so many teenagers hanging around in town too! Wow. Okay, isnt today the eve of their biggest most significant day of their lunar calendar? What are they doing in town? What are they supposed to be doing?

In town: to watch a movie, to hang out with friends, to meet up with old friends, to shop? Anything. I guess basically none of the reasons above have got to do with being with their family. I think it's because it's just in the afternoon so they still have time after school to catch up with friends before coming back home for reunion dinner. I think it's also because it's called 'reunion dinner', so the teens purposely go away for a while before reuniting with their family at night for dinner. I think it's because Chinese are very much simple type of people, they don't really decorate their houses with new curtains and tablecloths the way most Malays love to, so they don't have go home to prep up the house. I think it's also because the past week may have been really hectic for these students and today's the only time they can spend time with old pals before dedicating the rest of the week for their family. Some could be cashing in on last minute new year clothes. Having new clothes to celebrate in is something that transcends all cultures, including Malays and Indians, and it should be promoted.

What are they supposed to be doing actually? As in, by tradition? I'm not sure. Actually I don't know. Some of my friends told me that they have reunion lunch. ok, but is it the same as reunion dinner? Oh i also heard that some of my friends play mahjong when visiting relatives. ok, but is money involved? I heard too that some parents keep an account of how much so and so have given their kids last year, so they know how much to give to the kids of that so and so this year. Is this true? Do you yamseng on Chinese New Year? And is it yamseng using beer and liquor? I saw my friend's classmates having a small yu-sheng thingy today, that looked fun when you toss and toss the stuff around. What does it symbolise man? Oh does wearing red means that you can wear anything (e.g: mini skirts, tube tops, spag straps, shorts) as long as they are red?
Just pondering...

No comments: