Thursday, July 08, 2004

bad day

venue: RJC Field
Match: Soccer Testimonial Match for J2s

J1s 3-1 J2s
(Pravin x3, Raihan)
Line up: Kaixiang (Mark), Adzfar, Wei Fan, Kin Yip, Chun Yat, Soo Tet, Zhi Hao, Peiqian, Geoffrey, Pravin, Fairuz.


The day was totally screwed up. I put my shampoo and other toiletries in my shoebag cos there was no space in my bag. I didn't realise that one of the soap bottles were not capped properly til i touched my boots and they felt soapy.

Nevermind, so we played soccer at around 5.30pm. As usual, both sides were tentative with the ball, especially with slippery conditions due to the rain. Both sides kept giving away possession away but the J2s had more verve in their attacking and the way they pass the ball was sweet. They had Raihan as guest winger today, while we had Pravin as our guest striker.

Towards the middle of the first half, with neither sides really threatening the goals, we got the ball from our own half and a few quick passes set me down the left flank. I was through on goal, behind their last man. Appeals for offside were in vain. One-on-one with the keeper, I sidefooted the ball into the path of Pravin, who smashed the ball into the empty net. 1-0 to the J1s! Hah we showed them who were more serious today.

Before they could regroup, our constant hassle (to the extent of Junxi having to warn the J1s about 'protection...A'Levels!' haha) brought their defence under pressure. Jieming's attempted clearance was intercepted by my first-time header into Pravin's path. Looking up to sneak a peek, he coolly struck a fierce drive that went in at the far post, past Shengxiang who probably didn't expect anything like that. Yay 2-0 to J1s.

The J2s clearly stepped up a gear after that. Their midfield of Adil, Renji, Uncle Heng, Jasmeet, Raihan and Junxi were having a ball of a time laying passes to each other. One of such moves resulted in a string of corners awarded to them, which we miserably fail to clear. Renji broke through a few weak challenges down the left channel before squaring a perfect low cross which was met with a thumping typical Raihanic shot the bulged the net. 2-1, with J1s still leading at the break.

J2s picked up where they left off with some wonderful display of great passing. But certainly their finishing was not their greatest asset. We sat back for most of the second half, except for a handful of surges in counter attacks. I got only one shot in the entire match, a lob by Geoffrey over Amos put me into space behind their defence. But the bouncing ball seemed too hot to handle, as my left foot half volley sail high over the rugby post (which would have counted for 3 points in rugby!).

Peiqian hassled Adil in the J2's half, winning the ball and rolling it to me. Seeing that Pravin was in a more advanced position, I squared it to him, who took just one or two steps before blasting the ball into the net, past the stranded David Lee Dong Hoon Kimchi. 3-1 to J1s, and everyone began to cruise after that.

So, this game breaks my scoring streak. What a shame.

Areas of my game that needs improvement:
1. Controlling high balls on the run: bcoz this will help me to take the ball past the defenders if the ball given to me is short.
2. Taking up more central positions: bcoz often the midfielders have noone to pass to the centre bcoz i drift wide very often. I should offer myself as a target man more readily.

Then after the match, during tarian, I totally smashed my plate to pieces during the flick move. Noone ever broke theirs into such fine bits before la. haiya, when I got home, there were not enough pails to soak all my dirty clothes. The day when everything went bad... :(



-_-

No comments: