Friday, May 20, 2005

Soccer A' Div 2005

Soccer 'A' Division 2005

I was never originally in soccer. I was in rugby. There was this time around late March last year when I had to make a decision to choose between rugby and soccer, coz the school doesn't allow people to do 2 sports. I chose rugby and the team won gold. After that season, I just wanted something new, and soccer in a schools nationals tournament is something I never tried before. So I switched and this is how the story goes.

The team went to India last yr but I didn't follow because they booked it in advance, before I made the switch. For a whole month during the holidays I didnt train, but immediately when they came back, we had a friendly with SA, when our ass got whooped 5-1. Played a series of friendly matches thereafter. Intensive training this year culminated in the Malaysia trip, when we played against top club sides. Came back and then it's season time.

First Round.
Our group consisted of VJ, CJ and MI. All matches were played at VJ.

First match: RJC 0-4 VJC
In the first 15mins or so, we showed we were on par against the defending champions. We matched them tackle for tackle, ball for ball. We even had a few long shots that were narrowly off. There was one contentious offside decision, when they scored. And hit us again shortly after. We came charging in the second half, only for them to score again with a contentious goal (Ref disallowed goal at first for foul on our keeper Kaixiang.) Then they hit us with one more. Opening match gave me a real acid test. First time ever playing in Soccer ADiv. It was still alright, because we showed a good performance still and we knew we were still in it, despite MI winning 2-0 in the other match.

Second match: RJC 4-2 CJC
This was a match we knew we had to win, because we knew we were stronger. What happened was we didn't expect CJC to be so spirited and playing so well. We scored first, when a Joseph cross was deflected into CJC's own net by their captain. Leading 1-0, we were stunned by CJC's determination. They quickly pulled a goal back thru a major defensive lapse down our left. Joel got cut and deflected a CJ cross into goal. Again I started the match from the bench. Then, we knew we had to up our game in the second half. But what happened was just after I got subbed in for Chun Yat I think, Ashley from CJC scored a goal because our defence couldn't clear the ball far enough. Then really it was die-die must score.
Geoffrey won the ball in our half and cleared well into their half, I ran for it and slotted away from the 'keeper. Equaliser, what a relief. Then, Soo Tet was taking on two defenders on the left. He cut inside and chipped over the defence. I followed thru and chipped over the on-rushing keeper, who collided with his own last man. 3-2 and we are in the lead. There was a Zhi Hao through ball a few minutes later, for me down the left channel. It was one-on-one so I used the outside of my foot to place it to the far corner, only to see the ball bounce off the post. Could have been home and dry already, coz then CJC almost scored only for Kaixiang to deny them with a fine save. Then, Geoffrey managed to bring the ball into their zone and thread a through ball in between their defence. I pounced and placed it into the top corner. 4-2 and my hat-trick is complete.
Still, coach wasn't satisfied because we let them play too much. But the result was good, it meant we erased MI's goal advantage, because MI also lost to VJC 4-0.
This was my game of the season.

Third match: RJC 0-0 MI
This was a game which saw a marked improvement in our defence. We played really well and tried our best to contain their best player, No.12. There were some chances but missed. I picked up a yellow card the moment I stepped on the pitch, for what the ref said as a challenge from behind. I still don't understand. Anyway, the result meant that we go thru as group runner-up behind VJC. MI and CJC (CJ held VJ reserves to a 1-1 draw.) exit the competition. We qualified by the skin of our teeth because our goals scored is better than MI's by 2 goals. Come to think of it, it was due to the CJC game that got us through. Yup. :)

No comments: